Fideo, or what I like to call Fiesta Spaghetti!

My husband, Scott, comes from a Mexican background and absolutely LOVES spicy things, whereas I used to have an aversion to regular Nacho Cheese Doritos because I thought they were "too hot" (oh my goodness, what a baby I was!).  Apparently when you are exposed to spice more and more you develop a tolerance, and after a few short years I like my food just as hot as he does!

The next time I make this I will snap some yummy pictures and post them up as well!

That being said, this is one of my go-to, Mexican-inspired, quick dishes.  Fiesta Spaghetti is an extremely quick and simple soup to make that satisfies my need for something hot and just a bit spicy on a cold day. You know that feeling; all warm and toasty inside, mmmm :).

Scott's aunt made me fideo soup one day a few years back and I was extremely intrigued by it, though it is nothing like what mine evolved into.  I was later told by my mother-in-law that there are so many versions of the dish that you can't really go wrong with it, which got me excited to know that I hadn't concocted a complete abomination, haha!

Here is my version, and I hope you try it because I think it is DELISH!  It's a bit tomatoe-y, a bit spicy, and all-around comforting and good.  Feel free to go up or down on the spice to suit your tastes, and change things up to suit your mood and pantry.  This is good food, not rocket science!  My theory has always been that if it tastes good to you, then you've succeeded!

PRINTABLE
Ingredients:
1 bag Fideo or Vermicelli noodles (approx. 7 oz. bag)
1 green bell pepper
2 tbs oil (nearly any oil should work, but I use olive or coconut)
5 or more cups water (depending upon how soupy you want it)
1 can diced tomatoes
~2 tbs Pink Himalayan salt and/or bouillon of choice
1 tbs cumin
3 tsp garlic powder
3 tbs Sriracha, or to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
(note:  This is the basic ingredients list, however feel free to add any complimentary seasonings at this point that you like.  I usually happen to have some freeze dried basil, parsley, and cilantro on hand that I toss in, but it's not necessary.  I do it mostly for the color.)

Method:
1. Rinse and dice your bell pepper into bite-sized pieces
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan
3. Once the oil is hot, throw in the Fideo or Vermicelli noodles and toss to coat in the oil
4. Let the noodles brown, stirring often (once they really start to get browning they can go QUICK depending upon your pan, so keep an eye on them!)
5. Once they are nearly completely brown throw in your bell pepper pieces and let them get a bit of a char on them and soften a tad.
6. When you are satisfied with the darkness of your noodles and bell peppers, add in the 5 cups of water and the entire can of diced tomatoes (do not drain).
7. This is where the seasoning come in, so dump away!
8. Cover and cook as direction on the noodle package, or until al dente
9. Serve hot and enjoy!

Feel free to play around with this and taste/adjust as you go!  We like ours HOT so we add in more sriracha and black pepper.  There is nothing like a steamy, spicy, tomatoe-y, Mexican-inspired noodle soup on a cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment