Oil Pulling

Yesterday I stumbled upon this concept for detoxifying your mouth (among many other claimed benefits) called Oil Pulling. Check the "Quick Links" section below for more detailed information.

Basically, you take some sort of natural oil (I just happen to have purchased a new tub from Costco), put it in your mouth and swish it around for 15-20 minutes. Somehow the oil leeches toxins from your gums, loosens plaque and stains, and strengthens your teeth, etc. I figured, "Why not?" so I gave it a try.

Credit to: http://costcocouple.com

I flossed and then dove in.  Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so I had to chew a chunk until it melted in my mouth. NOT my favorite thing in the world, let me tell you. Some might not be bothered by this, but I definitely had a gag-factor for a moment.

Once it all melted, however, it was fine and tasted like nothing at all. I swished and strained it through my teeth with my tongue and basically just let it hang out in there and after about 10 minutes noticed that it started to take on a flavor... the flavor of bad breath! Yuck! It tasted like stale mouth and almonds, which tells me that SOMETHING was happening! After about 15 minutes my mouth was tingling ever so slightly and getting full of saliva (I know, yuck... but hey, I was starting to become a believer so I couldn't stop there!).

Once the 20 minutes were up I spit it out (don't swallow it; that stuff is full of awful things!) and rinsed my mouth with warm water.

I checked my teeth over and noticed an old coffee stain on my canine. I scratched it with my fingernail and it came right off!! Then I brushed my teeth and I swear they are at least two I shades whiter. I will definitely be doing before and after photos next time!

This was a great success, and for the plaque removal and stain-fighting alone, I think I will keep this up. At least once a week or so.

Teeth preserved!

Give this a try and tell me how it goes!

Quick Links:
Simple Homemade, oil pulling
OilPulling.org

No comments:

Post a Comment